Monday, August 20, 2012

Yum! Sweet Pickles

Another canning day today.  Well, sort of.  These are wonderful pickles that don't have to be processed.  You just keep them in the fridge.  I never really liked sweet pickles much until I tasted these.  They are awesome.  I must have cut the recipe out of the newspaper - somewhere - years ago as it's awfully yellowed.  I tried it last year and watched Bob eat them all.  So this year I thought I would taste them myself.  I decided immediately that he would have to share, so I made another batch today.  There is nothing 'fancy' to learn.  Just throw all the ingredients in a bowl and mix them up.  I have reused some old lids here, but I DO STERILIZE the jars and lids.  It's just that no seal is necessary.  I will share my recipe.
6-8 cups thinly sliced cucumbers
1 cup onion sliced thin
1 green pepper sliced thin
2 T. salt
2 cups sugar
1 cup vinegar (white)
 1 T. celery seeds
I also found a recipe that is almost the same on cook.com called Never Fail Refrigerator Pickles (sweet) and they add alspice.  Check it out!  The recipe makes two quarts or four pints.

2 comments:

  1. Those sound delicious! I might try making half a quantity, since fridges over here are a LOT smaller than the standard American one :D, and also I can't see C eating them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could send him a handful. I never thought I would like them either, but I think they are almost like eating candy. Yum.

      Delete