Saturday, February 16, 2013

Valentine Cookie

I'm a little late with this, but was so pleased with it that I had to show off.  I had company coming on Valentines Day - our Small Group Bible Study.  I needed a quick easy treat (and this could be it), and really wanted to try a Valentine Cookie.  I make my own Chocolate Chip Cookie mix which I love as it's better than most store bought and I can change it up any way I want to.  I happened to have a batch in the pantry that I made a couple weeks ago, but I could not for the life of me remember how to cut the finished cookie to make a heart.  I knew I used to make a big heart shaped valentine cake and I thought it was using two round cakes.  It was not.  My sister sent me  a link to the directions here showing me that the Big Heart is made from one round and one square cake. 

I was not sure how chocolate chip cookie mix would work, but I sprayed both pans really well with Olive Oil Spray and pressed the cookie dough in.  I baked it first as long as the recipe said to bake the cookies, but then watched it closely & tested a couple of times, and I think it was about 15 minutes.  I set it out to cool thinking I would never get it out of the pans and that I would have a crumbled mess.

The round pan was easy as it had one of those things inside that you turn around and it unsticks the cake.  I loosened the edges really well on the square pan with a spatula and tipped it over and it came right out too.

Then you cut the round one in half and put together your heart.  I didn't have much time to decorate and took this picture before I had even thought of it, but our group is mostly men and they care what it tastes like - mostly.  So I ran upstairs and punched a bunch of red hearts from Cardstock and scattered them on the big cookie.  I WILL do this one again.

The hard part is finding something big enough to serve it on.  In the past I have used a big piece of wood or cardboard covered with tinfoil.  This time in my rush, I served it on the pull out breadboard.  It worked just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment